My main teaching responsibilities include:
Strategy for non-profit organizations(with Frank de Bakker)
A 4th year course at VU University for the Master's degree in Policy, Communication and Organization (BCO), and for the Master's degree in Public Administration. In this course, we address the tension between strategic organizing and the pursuit of non-tangible strategic goals inherent to non-profit organizations (such as welfare, sustainable development, and so forth), as well as to for-profit organizations, in the form of corporate social responsibility (CSR).
In this course we received a number of prominent guest speakers, including Allert van den Ham (CEO of SNV), Peter Bos (Director of Safety Region Utrecht, of GGD Utrecht, and Coordinator of UNSR-NL), Danielle Hirsch (Director of BothEnds), and Marcel Hurkens (CEO of NoXqs).
Social Capital and social networks(with Marjolein Broese van Groenou)
A 2nd year course for the Bachelor's degree in Policy and Organization (B&O) and for the Bachelor's degree in Sociology. In this course, we introduce the key theoretical perspectives underlying social capital and social networks. Social capital provides people with non-tangible resources to realize different goals, through their social connections, i.e. their social networks.
Guest speakers in this course include Arnoud de Vries (TNO), Victor de Boer (Instituut voor Beeld & Geluid), Willem van Hage (Synerscope)
Thesis & dissertation supervisionFor Bachelors, Masters, and PhD level degrees. Please see my Projects page for an overview of PhD projects.
Executive coursesI co-teach an executive course for the VU Academy for Social Sciences on Networks, Social Media and Organizations, together with Christine Moser and Peter Groenewegen.
Research proposalDuring this intensive one-month course, Masters students receive instruction and supervision on writing a complete, theoretically and methodologically well-developed research proposal, in preparation of their Master's thesis research.
PhD seminars- Strengthening qualitative rigor
- Writing research proposals (Strongbow program, supported by Nuffic and VU International Office)
Previous courses & seminars include:- Guest lectures include MSc Organization Sciences (Fac. Social Sciences), MSc ICT4D (Fac. Sciences, Dept. of Computer Science), BSc Public Administration and Organization Sciences (see selected presentations for details)
- Preparing successful research proposals, for aspiring PhD candidates selected for NUFFIC Strongbow program
- Preparing and conducting qualitative interviews: Masterclass with journalist Maartje Duin for 4th year MSc degree students
- Knowledge management (tutorial on Knowledge Management for Development), 3rd year bachelor's degree course in Business Administration
- Business Information Technology (tutorial), 1st year bachelor's degree course in Business Administration
- Knowledge management for development, 3-day intensive course for the Advance Master in Development Studies (AMIDST, Radboud University Nijmegen).